I usually don't like frozen spinach because sometimes it's like eating dental floss, the way it stickes in your teeth, haha. However, Winn Dixie's CHOPPED frozen spinach is great! It's already cut up into bite size pieces! Combined with more veggies and a "light" alfredo sauce, it's a GREAT dinner option!
1 lb rigatoni pasta
16 oz chicken breast, cooked and cut into bite-size pieces (I just boiled mine)
medium onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
2 cups frozen spinach
a package of sliced mushrooms
5 tbsp chopped sun-dried tomatoes (the dried kind, not packed in oil)
1 jar "light" alfredo sauce
1) Put the spinach in a bowl with some hot water to allow it to thaw.
2) Put a big pot of water on the stove to start the boiling process.
3) In the pot, add the garlic and tomatoes. When they start to boil, add the pasta.
4) Cook all until pasta is al dente, then drain and put in a large bowl. Pour the bottle of alfredo sauce in the bowl, and stir well. When combined, set this bowl to the side.
5) Sautee spinach, onion, and mushrooms until onions are tender. There's no need to add any oil or butter, just add a tbsp of water. Trust me...it does the same thing, but without all those calories.
6) When veggies are done, add them to the pasta. Add the chicken, stir well, and you're ready to eat!
|Click for a larger view of the yummi-ness!|
This recipe freezes well. I divided the pasta into 7 freezer bags (between 12-13 oz servings), and the calorie count is below.
Calories - 377
Protein - 21
Fiber - 4
Carbs - 57