This was really easy, and sooooo yummy. :) As I continue posting on this blog, you'll come to find out that I looooooooooove Mexican. It's a running theme in my meals, haha, but I decided to mix it up a little and use a salsa verde this time. That's green salsa, for those of you who don't know...LOL. My husband can't take the really, really spicy stuff, so most of what I make is mild, but keep in mind that you can always add a diced jalapeno to (literally) spice it up!
1/4 c dry black beans, soaked and cooked (or 3/4 c canned)
3/4 c frozen corn
1 c diced onion
8 oz. package of sliced mushrooms
1 c diced green peppers
16 oz chicken breast, cooked and shredded (I used frozen, and just boiled and shredded it)
1 c. light sour cream
1 package (about 2 cups) shredded cheese (I used Winn Dixie 4 cheese mexican blend)
2 cups salsa verde (I used Guy Fieri's mild, and it was VERY good)
6 whole wheat tortillas
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a rectangular casserole dish with cooking spray. The rectangular dish will work best for tortilla placement. :)
2) In a large bowl, combine all the veggies, all the chicken, all the sour cream, 1 cup of the salsa, and 1 cup of the cheese. Mix thoroughly.
3) Pour 1/2 cup salsa in the bottom of dish and spread it evenly.
4) Place 2 tortillas in the dish, and cover with 1/2 the chicken/veggie mixture.
5) Place 2 more tortillas in the dish and cover with the remaining chicken/veggie mixture.
6) Place the remaining two tortillas on top, and cover with the remaining salsa in an even layer.
7) Cover with tin foil, and bake for 40 mins. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and then bake uncovered for an additional 5 mins.
8) Let cool for 5-10 mins to allow it to set, to allow for slicing of the casserole.
|Click here for a larger view of the yummi-ness!|
Each casserole makes 8 pretty good sized servings. For each serving:
Calories - 387
Fiber - 7
Carbs - 41 (You can lower this by omitting the beans, if you'd like.)