Sunday, August 26, 2012
So, I wanted this week's food to be super easy, since we're going to Dragon*Con and leaving on Friday morning.(I'm SO EXCITED!!!) During typical weekdays, we'll have one thing for breakfast all week, and then I'll make two different dishes to alternate between for lunch and dinner. It makes things REALLY easy when you cook everything on Sunday, and it ends up being cheaper too. The great thing is, as long as it's different stuff every week, me AND the hubby are quite content having the same thing every day for 5 days. Sounds weird, right? LOL
This week is tuna casserole and taco casserole...figure out the theme yet? Casseroles are easy to put together, easy to serve, and they reheat really well. So without further ado, here's the recipe for the really yummy breakfast casserole. :)
4 cups frozen hashbrowns
1 tube sausage
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup baking mix, such as Bisquick
1 cup 2% or skim milk
1/2 pack of mushrooms (about 4 oz)
1 diced green pepper
1 diced medium yellow onion
1 cup frozen chopped spinach
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1 cup salsa (optional, but I will use it next time)
1) Put hashbrowns and spinach in a large bowl with warm water to thaw.
2) Cook sausage until no longer pink. Drain and return to pan.
3) In the same pan, add mushrooms, green pepper, and onion and cook until onions start to caramelize.
4) While the sausage/veggies are cooking, drain the hashbrown/spinach mix and return them to the bowl.
5) When the sausage/veggies are done, drain them and add to the large bowl with the hashbrowns. (If you're using salsa, add it now.)
6) Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and spray a deep pan or casserole dish with cooking spray.
7) Add 3/4 cup cheese to the mixing bowl.
8) Also add 9 eggs to the mixing bowl.
9) Add a pinch of salt and a good pinch of pepper (we love pepper!)
10) Mix WELL. The mix will not look appetizing, lol, but it will taste great once cooked.
11) Pour the mixture into the greased dish, and use a spatula to spread it evenly.
12) In a bowl, mix together the baking mix, milk, and the 1 leftover egg.
13) Pour the mix over the casserole, making sure it's even.
14) Bake for 40 mins, or until toothpick comes out clean.
15) Top with 3/4 cup cheese and bake for 5 more mins. Let cool 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrional info (for 1/10th of the recipe):
Calories - 375
Protein - 19
Carbs - 19